Despite the fact that dbForge products were developed only for Windows platforms, our active users (thanks to Tsvetkov) have found a way to use some features of dbForge Studio for MySql on Linux family operating systems.
Tests were run under .Net Framework 2.0 on Wine emulator.
The following command line functionality works with no visible issues:
- /backup – backups a database
- /restore – restores a database
- /datacompare – launches a data comparison
- /datacompare /sync – launches a database synchronization
- /schemacompare – launches a schema comparison
- /schemacompare /sync – launches a database synchronization
- /dataexport (starting from version 5.0) – exports data
- /dataimport (starting from version 5.0) – imports data
- /execute – executes a script
Testing of the following GUI functionality completed with full success:
- Import Wizard
- Export Wizard
- Backup Wizard
- Restore Wizard
- SQL Formatter Wizard
Data comparison. We were able to perform data comparison operation with some limitations:
- there is no possibility to view differences between the records of the relevant objects
- Data Synchronization Wizard doesn’t work at all
Schema comparison. Testing of the schema comparison functionality finished with the following results:
- Schema Comparison Wizard works properly
- Schema Synchronization Wizard is supported excepting the possibility to view synchronization script for the object. However, you can save documents and use them as a command line argument
Stored procedures debugger. Works properly if you disregard the artifacts.
The rest of the functionality is associated with tool-windows or documents and mostly blocked because of problems with rendering. To avoid the issues associated with tool-windows, change the window status from Docked to Floating and vice versa.
If you are interested in using dbForge Studio for MySql on Linux, you can use the following installation recommendations:
1. Build wine with the following options:
app-emulation/wine-1.3.3 USE="X alsa dbus gecko jpeg ncurses opengl perl png ssl threads truetype win32 xinerama xml (-capi) -cups -custom-cflags (-esd) -fontconfig -gnutls (-gphoto2) -gsm (-hal) -jack -lcms -ldap -mp3 -nas -openal -oss -pulseaudio -samba (-scanner) -test -win64 -xcomposite"
2. Install to a new folder .wine files (optionally, but preferably)
- sh winetricks gdiplus
Note: Do not use gdiplus from wine (dbforge crashes with an error when starting)
4. Install dotnet20 (in Fedora13 the installation interrupts with an error):
- sh winetricks dotnet20
wine ./dbforgemysqlru.exe (installs with no visible issues)